Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hardest word to hear: Surrender

As I read today's devotional about surrender, I couldn't help but think 'have I done it completely not selectively?' Its easy for us to say, Okay Lord, you can have my heart and my soul but not my mind or will. Most of the time it is not really even said. Our actions show this to the Lord. We make decisions without even praying or discerning whether God is supporting us or not. We tell Him, hey by the way I decided a,b,c because I felt like it was the right thing to do and everything worked towards the decision. It seemed positive Lord, so I went for it. Just imagine if you were in a marriage and you told that to your wife or husband. The result would be chaotic and I guarantee if things would not change after a few instances of that, the marriage would eventually come to a bitter end. 


Imagine the same with the Lord. He is here to build a relationship with us. If you are a Christian, have chosen to give Him your heart and your life and every day is a process of surrender. It begins when you accept Him as your Saviour. You said, I trust you to lead my life from now onwards. So why hold on to parts of you that He ought to have? I speak to myself as I write this and maybe I should just write it as such.


 I know that God knows best, I know that God has great plans for me but I still choose to worry. I still choose to hold on and try to steer the wheel. It is hard to be honest with myself and say, you know what? I don't think God has EVERY part of me. In this relationship, God is really trying to reach out to me and declare His wisdom hoping that I will listen and let go of whatever it is am trying to control. My song now to Him, is my life is in your hands. I want to let the Lord reign. Its time to let Him guide me, to listen to make sure prayer is a conversation and not a monologue. To be quiet and still in His presence so that I can hear from Him. I want to give Him time to be God in my life once again.


I'll point out a few verses that speak volumes to me right now. 


Prov. 16:1-2, 9 
The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.

All the ways of man are pure in his own eyes but the Lord weighs the spirit.

The heart of man plans his way but the Lord establishes his steps.


Verse 3 talks about committing your work to God and He'll establish your steps..


Where I am right at this moment, this is my verse that points to surrender. Surrendering my desires to Him and He makes way for them. I have fought hard to understand, to try and catch a glimpse of where He may possibly wanting me to God and I have honestly battled to make sense of any and every trial that has come my way. I have analyzed and speculated but all that can be said is "all things work together for good for those who love God". 


Exodus 14:14 says The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.


2 Chronicles 20: 17 You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.' (The Lord's encouragement to King Jehosophat when he was being invaded by three different armies)


I love how the Message puts it,  you won't even need to lift a finger. And the way the people from Jehosophat's city made it through the battle was obviously the Lord's deliverance but this occurred as they were PRAISING the Lord and sought the Lord by prayer and fasting. Worship is armor in our battle and I believe prayer is our way of beckoning the Lord to act on our behalf. We do need to be ready for the fight and we do that by constantly being in worship daily, not just sunday. 


I know my thoughts have not really flowed and I may have touched on several topics but I had to write what He is teaching me =).  Stay encouraged, surrender your will and embrace the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment